This is the finished product and it only took about an hour to complete, with the help of an industrial staple gun, some sewing pins and a bit of wo-man power.
At one point, this headboard (as embarrassing as it is to admit) was mine. It was a hand-me-down that I wanted to completely junk, but decided to do a little up-cycling instead. I’m glad I did! 🙂
I ordered 2 1/2 yards of a grade 14 fabric called Julia Ebony for my double sized headboard. I was worried I would come short, however, I have quite a bit of fabric left over to use for other projects. *happy girl*
This is a close-up of the fabric. I love the feminine pattern, the feel of the fabric and the neutral colours.
After removing the previous fabric from the headboard with a seam ripper and scissors, I had a blank canvas of foam and plywood to work with. I chose to keep the original style and upholster with the existing foam.
The part that seemed the toughest was the easiest. After draping the fabric over the headboard, I pinned the fabric to the foam as tightly as possible and worked from one side to the other in order to avoid any “bumps” so it would look seamless.
It’s hard to believe this is the same bed and harder to believe how quick it was to give this headboard a much needed facelift! I love the end result!